We aim to improve the quality of life for those who have a life limiting illness and their families and to help them relate positively to every challenge they may encounter during their illness and to see death as part of life’s journey.
A diagnosis of a life limiting illness changes everything – moves all the parameters in your life and the lives of those around you.
Hospice care exists to freely provide help to people living with a life limiting illness, relieving symptoms, enriching patient’s lives and supporting them and their loved ones.
The first Butterwick day hospice in Stockton was opened by Mary Butterwick OBE, in 1984. Skilled nursing, supportive therapies and experienced counseling coupled with constant fundraising have grown the Hospice over the last 26 years into a regional provider of excellent end of life care.
Today Butterwick Hospice cares for up to 200 patients and their loved ones every day. All of our services are provided completely free of charge.
Butterwick Adult Hospice
Butterwick Adult Hospice, Stockton, today is a purpose built hospice opened in 1996, offering 10 in-patient beds and caring for up to 80 day hospice patients per week in home from home surroundings.
The pleasant, welcoming surroundings at the hospice provide a relaxing environment where patients and their loved ones can feel at ease.
Butterwick has its own Chef who makes sure patients always receive the food and drink they would like and enjoy. All dietary needs are catered for but we also try to think of all those small details that help to bring pleasure and comfort to our patients.
Hospice care is different to Hospital care. We have more time to provide ‘care plus’ – time to listen and to explain and a supportive environment where people can receive the individual care they need.
Butterwick’s Children’s Hospice opened in 1998. This is a happy, child friendly and homely environment where children can play and relax. Experienced sick children’s nurses and nursery nurses can take over the families caring responsibilities. The specialised facilities help us to enrich children’s lives and at the end of the child’s life families feel they are among friends who will support them.
Bishop Auckland Hospice
- Opened as a Butterwick Hospice in 1995
- Offers up to 60 day hospice places each week in Bishop Auckland
- Provides day hospice services each week in community hospitals in Barnard Castle, Sedgefield and Stanhope
- Launched new day hospice service in Barnard Castle in October 07 for patients with neurological illnesses
- Increased service provision 10 fold in the last 5 years
- 30% of patients in this area have a non cancer diagnosis
Facts & Figures
- Butterwick Hospice employs 250 staff and over 500 volunteers
- 70% of our staff are doctors and nurses
- It is a 24 hour, 7 day week, 52 weeks a year, fully operating Hospice
- One day of care for an adult costs£460
- One day of care for a child costs £800
- Day care services in Stockton cost £335,000 per year
- Our total costs across three Hospices per year = £3,800,000
- This equates to a cost of £7.23p per minute
Where Does Our Funding Come From?
- 30% of the cost of our adult services comes from negotiated NHS contracts
- 20% of our overall costs come from our trading activities – Lottery & Shops and our new social enterprise Seven Wellbeing Centre Limited
- The remainder comes from fundraising activities
General fundraising is a constant activity; we receive a much smaller percentage of legacies in comparison to other hospices nationally as we serve less affluent areas. Historically we have relied heavily on our communities for support.
We are now building stronger partnerships with the corporate sector to help ensure the Hospice is there for future generations.
Butterwick Hospice serves a diverse area, supporting people and their families in Teesside, County Durham, North Yorkshire and Wearside.
Our Children’s Hospice provides support across this whole area.
Adult services in Bishop Auckland serve the very rural Durham Dales and Borough of Sedgefield areas through day hospices in Bishop Auckland, Outreach Hospices in Barnard Castle, Stanhope and Sedgefield, home care and mobile aromatherapy services
Stockton Hospice serves the whole Borough including Yarm, Billingham, Norton, Thornaby, Eaglescliffe and Stockton.
Butterwick Hospice Care was established 26 years ago and currently has over 34,000 known supporters
Butterwick is well known and highly respected which makes our Brand a valuable asset
A supportive association with our brand would be a strong selling point for your organisation